Thursday, January 24, 2013

Entrepreneur article about van Schouwen Associates

It hasn't been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon (or at van Schouwen Associates) and so I nearly forgot that our marketing firm was to be featured in an Entrepreneur article discussing how our company (and I) got through some of our darkest days.

Six Tips To Keep Your Business Going After Losing Your Partner takes us back to the days and months in 2006 following the unexpected and heartbreaking cardiac arrest death of my then-husband and business partner Steve van Schouwen. The author, Gwen Moran, told me she focuses on topics relating to business and personal crisis because so many of the business owners to whom Entrepreneur is directed are currently tired, discouraged or feeling beaten down after years of economic instability and business bumps. Her running theme is that entrepreneurs can and do survive more than we expect.

As the "survivor" subject of this latest article, I should know this. However, it never hurts to be reminded that all things change and continue changing. Often, the people who do best in life also cope best with change.

Reading the article, funnily enough, also reminds me of my own strengths, including a propensity to prepare for the unexpected, being more or less willing to "keep on going" and knowing – except when I forget! –  that it's often little things that allow us to exist a state of reasonable stability or contentment. I'll never minimize the sorrow of losing a loved one, nor the long road to feeling good again. I will not minimize the commitment it took, from the staff and me, to assure that van Schouwen Associates continued to provide great value to its clients no matter what.

It certainly makes me appreciate the smallness of everyday travails by comparison.

I hope you enjoy the article. Thanks again, Gwen Moran. I imagine your work helps a lot of readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment