Thursday, January 22, 2009

The mind at rest, kind of.

[caption id="attachment_363" align="alignnone" width="150" caption="...dream on."]...dream on.[/caption]

My sister Molly sent the family an email that read:

Last night I dreamed that I had saved my dream as the wrong file type and I couldn’t open it.

First, I must express my admiration of a dream so terse and still so meaningful. It makes my recurring dream of being lost on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston and knowing I need to walk the 90 miles home in the dark seem... well, rather stale.

More to the point, I think my sister just had the ultimate "I'm stressed and not exactly having the time of my life" dream that deserves the 2009 Great Recession Award.*

(*All credit for the term "Great Recession" is ceded to my older son, Zach.)

When I get stressed, I misplace credit cards, keys and other everyday necessities. Sometimes I misplace them in restaurants or public restrooms, which is unfortunate. My sister, apparently, mis-saves dream files.

When I get stressed, I can lose touch with my aspirations, my joys and my confidence. My sister can't even dream her damn dream.

On the other hand, don't you think the mind is a wonderful thing? What a creative way for her brain to say, "Hey kid, you could use some downtime and fun, because life is taking you away from yourself."

May she open her next dream file with ease.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm OK. I dreamed my granddaughters had a horse (nice).

    On the other hand, we were moving, and the grand piano had been
    delivered to the barn while I was out. (We don't have barn.)

    I don't need to worry about file folders and such because I spend all
    my time lately getting rid of the Spyware popup boxes . . .

    And so it goes. Aunt Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great metaphor. The mind is a wonderful thing, but its also one of our biggest saboteurs. (Nothing less productive than constant worry and what-iffing.)

    Entertainingly, my stress-related dreams most often present themselves as action-adventure movies. Like, me trying to outwit the Mob, or a dinosaur. Some kind of menace. I've had so many versions of this dream that I've lost count. (I think I may have the unconscious mind of a 15-year-old boy.) But these dreams are far more entertaining than the ho-hum school dreams where I'm facing a final exam for a class I haven't attended all semester (sometimes on a day where I forgot to wear pants).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you would need a barn for the [dream] horse. And I suppose if the horse likes music, it will enjoy the grand piano.

    Hmm, interpreting dreams can be tricky. Maybe you weren't really moving, but maybe the part of the dream about the grand piano and the movers was just a creative scheme by the horse to improve the barn. It's hard to say for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - In an unscientific poll I learned that two-thirds of adults have the dream about a class that you didn't attend all semester. In my version, it's only a month or two into the semester and I'm wandering around trying to find the classroom, and don't have a clue where it is.

    ReplyDelete