Friday, March 6, 2009

How a workaholic handles a holiday week when everyone else is out playing.

In short? Gracelessly. Let me tell you about my experience just two short weeks ago, while so many happy parents and kids were enjoying a February vacation romp.

(Not that I'd know anything about being a workaholic. Surely not.)

But WHAT IF I were a workaholic, sitting at my desk that vacation week, and had sent out, oh say 137 emails regarding upcoming projects, and NO ONE ANSWERED?

What if it were only Monday and I had checked off everything on my digital To Do list for the whole week because I hadn't had any pesky interruptions?

I began thinking, "I know it's school break week, and it's all about the kids and Florida and the Caribbean and skiing. And Disney World. But gosh, didn't anyone bring their Blackberries?"

[caption id="attachment_405" align="alignleft" width="150" caption="Can you find the business tools in this photo?"]Can you find the business tools in this photo?[/caption]

But now I see the world differently. Next week, I myself am taking a break and checking out the beaches of warmer climates. I'm going to try something new. Even though I'll  have my laptop, and my cell, I'm going to act (at least some of the time) like I don't. Ah.

It may take a day or more for me to get back to you. Well, unless you say it's urgent.

2 comments:

  1. Mom Blogs - Blogs for Moms...

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the fun of my (first-ever) trip to Europe last summer was stopping in internet cafes to check my email so I could stay in touch. And part of the fun of family vacations is checking my email from a laptop in the Thoureau-at-Walden-Pond-sized cabin where I stay. (Okay, not as pure as Thoreau at Walden Pond, there's a dial-up connection, and yes, there actually is some electricity.)

    But interestingly, my clients always assure me that I can, if I want, take a whole week off, and answer their questions when I get back. So, it's nice that we can stay connected, but even nicer if we don't actually have to!

    ReplyDelete