Monday, March 2, 2009

Necessity

[caption id="attachment_396" align="alignnone" width="150" caption="You're prepared for all contingencies... right?"]You're prepared for all contingencies, right?[/caption]

A saying from a friend: "The best boat pump in the world is a sailor with a bucket... in a very leaky boat."

So true. In the last recession, spanning the years 2000-2001, our company started out with several sales professionals. We ended the recession with just one... that ONE was me. I believe I represented the sailor with a bucket. Who more than the owner of my small company, after all, knew how much bailing how many sales were required? This time around, the entire van Schouwen Associates staff is truly engaged and actively involved in seeking and leveraging all opportunities. In other words, we have more sailors with buckets now. This is better.

Of course, I keep making the mistake of looking at the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which is one global representation of the water level in our collective economic boat. The DJIA is currently under 7,000, pretty dismal, eh? I hope by the time I hit the "publish" button for this blog entry, it has gone back up. (Really, aren't we running out of patience for this?)

You know best what bailing your own boat means to you. Perhaps, literally, it means your job isn't what it used to be and you need to... sorry... BAIL and get a new one. (Okay, I won't play with the word "bail" anymore, really. Don't go. I'll say "necessity" instead.)

For our company, necessity means we continually strengthen our prospecting and outreach efforts - something I think we're good at anyway - because we need to keep the phone ringing. To accomplish this, we're working our butts off. Not to put too fine a point on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment