Monday, September 8, 2008

Cynical, anyone? The communicator's dilemma.

Sure, I'm way too emotionally involved this election season. But I consider the time and the hand-wringing an investment in my professional tool set, because this year's presidential campaigns are studies in marketing, and very cynical marketing at that.

Which gets me thinking... how on earth can a communicator be believable when she has something "for sale"?

Personally, I look at everything the candidates and their cohorts do through a glass darkly. Picking Sarah Palin as the Republican Vice Presidential nominee? Don't get me started about how cynical THAT was - and I so hope the women of America don't vote for her just because she has XX chromosomes. Obama's growing sympathy for the gun-totin', God fearin' working class? (Didn't he say something about them clinging bitterly to something? Guess hangin' around a few town halls in Pennsylvania wised him up...) Even the small stuff: Cindy McCain holding Sarah Palin's new baby on TV? Awww... but I notice she REALLY doesn't want that kid to barf on her dress. The cynic in me sees only a photo opp, not brilliantly handled.

Trying to learn from the mistakes of political campaigns... okay, so what about marketing products and services? The same problems can arise - it's tough getting a cynical audience to believe anything professional PR people and other communicators say - even when it's absolutely true.

Letting the truth be the point. That will help. The truth looks true. It sounds true. Maybe it's funny, eye-catching or new. The truth doesn't shift message just to be expedient. It doesn't underestimate the intelligence of its audience. It doesn't pull a bait-and-switch.

When you can't say something good and true about the product or service you're selling? No kidding - as a marketer, you should just say no. Save yourself for something worth talking about.

Integrity, over the long term, equals believability. I think it shines through - and that's where my own cynicism ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment