Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Limiting the damage.

A new American Research Group poll indicates that zero (yes, that's 0) percent of Americans think the economy is getting better. I suppose the specter of a $700 billion bailout will continue to cast a long shadow on public confidence. There's a good argument, though, for adopting a certain dogged optimism. At the risk of sounding like McCain when he recently said the economy's fundamentals were sound (oops), I've been through enough downturns to know that our economy is a massive machine with great momentum. Further, I think our emotions play a big role, and that "group negativity" deepens and extends periods of economic gloom. For example, as a business owner who works with corporate clients, I remember well that 9/11 was almost immediately followed by a freeze in corporate decision-making and an end to many marketing outreach programs. Why? Fear. Certainly, the economy was already in a tech bust, and 9/11 was terrifying. But I strongly believe that we worsened our situation by, in too many cases, putting the brakes on normal activity. I virtually never think George W. Bush is correct, but when he told Americans to "go out shopping" after the attacks, I reluctantly agreed with the motive behind the message. I didn't want our economy to be yet another victim.

I think we're at another turning point. The financial mess the U.S. and the world have gotten into is bad, of course. However, my firm's clients are still selling a lot of products, I'm still buying groceries and shoes, and, as I look around, I see some people are still buying homes and getting new jobs. Let's keep a sense that we can empower ourselves. Let's also assume that the sky isn't actually falling, just sagging. Let's assume the stock market will lurch back into a positive trend over time. As business people, consumers and human beings, I believe we have the power to keep ourselves moving forward economically - despite it all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm still buying shoes too! Probably more than I ought to be.

    I think that when things get tight, you get strategic, particularly with marketing efforts. Pull the plug entirely and miss the opportunity to stand out in a suddenly-less-crowded market.

    ReplyDelete