Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This morning I felt guilty about Starbucks...

I'll bet you haven't thought about T.S Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" in awhile. Okay, maybe ever. But listen to this!

... time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.


This morning, standing in line to purchase my $3.52-plus-tip latte, I thought "But we're going to have a recession! No! A DEPRESSION!" but I bought it anyway because it's really good. And I'm really tired and, well, feeling a little negative this morning.

But this is how it begins. Do I dare to eat a peach? (Yeah, Prufrock again.) Day to day, most of us trust the government to be foolish BUT NOT THIS FOOLISH. We trust the markets to not shoot down to negative numbers (hmmm, can that happen?)

And then when we find out we're wrong, we stop buying lattes, we don't travel as much, we don't buy that new house. Bosses don't hire new people, people don't start new businesses... and the economy tanks. Its engine relies on all of us.

So THAT'S why I'm doing my part. Lattes for the sake of the nation.

Please... do your part. Your government lacks the will!

1 comment:

  1. $4.06 plus tip at the Wall Street SBUX in Manhattan. I guess I'll know the end times have arrived when it dips below the psychologically significant $4-per-grande level.

    ReplyDelete